Monday, April 13, 2009

A run-in with Debbie Downer

Last weekend, I ran to the grocery store with my Mom to pick up a few things.  We were ready to make a quick run through the store...until we ran in to my Mom's cousin. AKA Debbie Downer. And that meant a very long, very depressing conversation was inevitable.

Though we're close with the rest of our family, we've never been very close to my Mom's cousins  We know them well enough, but probably only see them every few years. In this case, it has been a couple years since any of us have caught up. And the thing is, Debbie has quite the reputation for dropping the most tragic, depressing, heart-wrenching drama bombs every time you talk to her. Everything is just sad, sad, sad. And this time was no exception.

It started off light with "how are yous" and a quick comment about her daughter getting into the college of her choice. And then BAM! twenty (yes twenty) long minutes of everything that has gone wrong over the last couple of years...

After hearing in detail about crystal meth addictions, abused children injuries, guns, accidents, witness protection stints, hospital trips and arrests, we thought it was over. 

But wait, that was only about ONE person in her life. Let's not forget the bouts with cancer, more addiction, oxygen tanks, homelessness, etc affecting the rest of her relatives.

It's horrible, it really is. She has had so much sadness and tragedy in her family and we're there to support her. But really? In the grocery store? We were standing next to the little smiley lamb cakes for goodness sakes. There is a time and a place for those conversations and the bakery section of the grocery store certainly isn't it. As she was talking, people kept walking by and you could tell by their shocked faces that they definitely overheard her story. I nearly laughed...but I'm not completely heartless, so I didn't. 

It was nice to see her and catch up. But after we said goodbye, my Mom and I both looked at each other, said a silent "Oh my God" and walked away very quickly. It kind of put a damper on our excited Easter moods. Thanks Debbie!

Oh and silly question, everyone...how do you get more friends on Twitter? Do I just randomly start following people? Just wondering...I love Twitter so far!

5 comments:

Andi said...

Sorry to here about Debbie the Downer. For Twitter, yes, just start following people who look interesting - and then look at who they are following. I can suggest some people for you too - do you like celebs, pets - Starbucks is on there. I can email some ways for finding people in the areas that you are interested in.

erin - heart in ireland said...

wow! seems like everything and anything happens to her.

hope things are going better for you, than they were on Easter. I totally get like that sometimes and just cry for absolutely no reason!

Bayjb said...

Ugh Debbie Downer's are tough to be with because they inevitably kill the mood. For Twitter, yes, start following more people, put a Follow Me widget on your blog and people will find you

Rachie said...

Ew I hate people like that but SO glad you're loving twitter!

Anonymous said...

I hate when people do that. I mean. I GET it that bad things happen to you. But some people just like to complain...anytime and anywhere. Ugh.

And yes. I look at who my friends follow and if they seem interesting add them. :)