Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Birds tweet. I don't...yet.

Can someone please explain Twitter to me? I mean I get the idea of it, but what is the point? I think I might be one of the only people in the world that isn't on it right now and I'm beginning to feel a bit left out.

I really hadn't heard of Twitter until last summer. One of my friends got really into it and urged me to sign up. So I did. But I didn't really know anyone on it besides her and it kind of creeped me out because people kept asking to follow me, even though I didn't know them. It was semi-entertaining for about a day, and then I got bored with it. I still have my account, but I haven't "tweeted" (is that the lingo?) since July.

Last week, I was proofreading (surprise, surprise) and saw that the other copywriter had included copy about Twitter into a piece we created for our wireless client. I was pretty surprised. And then suddenly, I saw mentions of Twitter everywhere. On TV, in the newspaper, online, on every blog, etc. Whoa. And then I found out that some celebrities are apparently really into it (gotta love celeb gossip) and now I'm even more intrigued.

So I'm rethinking the whole Twitter thing. Maybe I should give it another shot. Hmm. Anyone have any good advice/tips/tricks/opinions/ideas they can give me? Are the celeb tweets real? And how the heck do you know who to follow, etc? And what does following even mean? I think I have a lot to learn...


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I kinda heard about Twitter like you. I signed up because "everyone else was doing it." I wanted to see what people wrote. Like, what's so important that you have to "tweet" about right it that minute? It's interesting to see what people are up to. What they do in their every day lives. Like the other day Ally "tweeted" that only on Twitter would she know Jimmy Fallon was sitting on a beach next to a topless woman (or something like that). And she knew that because she follows his tweets. Know what I mean? Yeah, celeb tweets are real. Which is way strange and makes them fun to follow! Hope I helped!

Andi said...

People can be over the top with it, it can suck up you day if you let it. I tweet only a couple of times a day. The celebs are real, it is a new phenomena- they can control their own messaging. I also tweet my blog posts (I first shorten the urls with http:www.budurl.com) - half my traffic to my blog comes from Facebook and Twitter. If you do decide to pick it up again, I am @andi_fisher.

Alison said...

I'm on Twitter, though I'm not obsessed with it like tons of people are.

The only celebrity I follow right now is Jimmy Fallon (as zenfullyme mentioned), but there are sooooo many others. It's pretty cool I guess.

I follow other bloggers, and have a link on my page for them to follow me. Then of course I get random followers who I have no idea how they found me!!

Jamie said...

I love Twitter. I think of it as another way to connect with people in real time. You can throw out links to blog posts, ask questions, network, or just talk. It's all about the interaction. People who just tweet and don't join in on the conversation are really missing out on the point of it. It's suppose to engage people.

Bayjb said...

i love Twitter but it definitely takes time to integrate it into your life. Just think of it as mini blog posts throughout the day. You can do it as much or as little as you want, but it's like your Facebook status messages.

Rachie said...

I can't remember who or where I heard about from but I got into it around July as well. Well, as soon as I opened my new blog. I am a huge fan and I'm not sure why. Basically I use it like I use texting except I can tweet and everyone (who follows me) can read the message. As where if you text it usually only goes to one person.

I've also heard people explain twitter like facebook's status'. But I feel like you can really use it for whatever! Totz add me if you get back into it!

erin - heart in ireland said...

I haven't joined yet and I don't know that I will...