Monday, April 20, 2009

"It's like I have ESPN or something"

Ah yes, Mean Girls. So many amazing lines to quote from that movie. Everything from "Boo, you whore" and "Oh my God, Danny Devito! I love your work!" to "I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy..." and "On Wednesdays, we were pink" (which I recently said to my boyfriend...he looked at me like I was nuts.)

But the one that popped into my head after I had a very weird incident at work last Friday was Karen's brilliant line, "It's like I have ESPN or something." It just seemed to fit. 

First, a quick back story: My Mac laptop at work is older than dirt. It takes about an hour to start up, it gets temperamental when it doesn't get enough sleep, and it lives on a couple second delay...meaning, when I type a letter on the keyboard, it shows up on the screen 2 seconds later. So annoying. It can barely load my Gmail, let alone play videos. And since I work in an office where Youtube and Hulu are all the rage, I feel a little left out. 

So Friday afternoon, I was sitting in the kitchen at work filling out the RedEye crossword and eating lunch with my coworker. She mentioned some YouTube video I should watch when I got back to my desk. Bummer. So of course, I complained and said, "I can't watch anything on my computer. I hate it. I wish it would just give up and die already. I keep waiting for it to shut off and never turn on again."

[dun dun dun]

A few minutes later, I finished my lunch and went back to my desk. My laptop was sleeping, so I hit the mouse to revive it. But something was very wrong. My normal desktop popped up, but it was completely frozen. Even the clock was frozen on 12:59pm. Almost exactly the time I sent my computer a death wish.

[cue Twilight Zone theme song]

I had to manually shut it down and stood waiting for it to reboot. A gray screen appeared...and then it started clicking really, really loudly. It was coming from inside the computer. The screen went black again, but the clicking continued. Loudly. 

I ran to get the IT guy and after only a few short minutes, he called it. Time of death: 1:28pm. Cause of death: The tiny laser reader arm thingy (technical term of course) fell out of whack. So essentially, the computer was unfixable. And very much dead.

Creepy, huh? Be careful what you wish for, I guess. Because the "new" computer I now have is another Mac laptop that has already died multiple times, can't play videos and has keys that can't be used without the help of an external keyboard. Womp womp. 

I lost everything on my other computer. Luckily, the only project that wasn't backed up was one I had recently started, so I didn't miss much. Thank goodness. 

Oh! And Erin tagged me in the Surprise Picture Post! 
Here are the rules:
•Take a picture of yourself right now.
•No primping or preparing.
•Just snap a picture.
•Load the picture onto your blog.
•Tag some people to play along.

Yep, that's me and my frizzy hair (thank you, rain). Oh look! There's even some Christmas wrapping paper, a photo album and my drying rack thrown in to add some interest. Very exciting, I know.

I think I'll tag just a couple people:

"That is so fetch." 
Goodnight everyone!

5 comments:

Rachie said...

I love how much you love me. You love me so much that you tag me in THE WORST MEME EVER!!! Heh. No, I'm not mad. I love you so much that I'll do it. :P

Alison said...

Ah that is so crazy!! Can you will my Honda to just die already so I can get a shiny new one? :)

erin - heart in ireland said...

stop trying to make fetch happen...

i love mean girls.

that is pretty funny about your computer though, and your "new one" sounds even better!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your computer problems. Figures the one you get to replace isn't as good as the old one. That would so happen to me. No offense taken with the UFC. I thought it was funny. It normally wouldn't be my thing, but I've go to support our locals!

Bayjb said...

That is one of my favorite lines, that and definitely the Danny Devito one too. I think the frizzy hair looks good :)