Sunday, January 4, 2009

The best intentions...or something like that

So as I kick off 2009, I've decided to make a few resolutions:

1. Drink more water. I'm TERRIBLE about drinking water. It's not that I drink a lot of soda or sugary drinks or anything, I just don't drink a lot of anything in general. Kind of weird.

2. Get on a regular Pilates/work out schedule ASAP so I can be fit and toned by March when I jet off to Aruba with my Mom and sister. (I'm already counting the days...)

3. After Santa left me with brand new cooking utensils, two cook books and a crock pot, I promised myself I'd cook more (I think he was hinting pretty strongly at that, too). So I'm going to try to cook myself dinner at least once a week, which is a big step for me.

4. Try to get to bed at a decent hour...or at least a bit earlier than I usually do.

5. Redesign my blog a bit. Not sure where to start on that, does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/tips? I'd really appreciate them!

So I started off today with the best intentions. I woke up, got ready and went to Pilates with my friend. I was really good about going over the summer, but when I moved and it started to get colder, I stopped going. So this morning was a bit rough. But I know it will only get better. 

After Pilates, I stopped at the grocery store and picked up the last couple ingredients for my first ever crock pot meal. I was feeling very productive and very excited about "cooking". I decided to make a chicken and vegetable dish in which I could just throw everything into the pot all at once. Basically, it was just canned potatoes, canned water chestnuts, frozen green beans, garlic, pepper, a bottle of Italian dressing and 8 large chicken breast halves.

Yes, 8.

For some reason, I forgot that I was only "trying out" a recipe and therefore only I was going to be eating it. So I went and got my little chicken breasts and even though it was $15 ($15 for chicken?!), I decided it was a good investment because it would provide me meals for the next couple of days. Is chicken normally that much? Yikes. I have a lot of learning to do.

So I hurried home, threw it all together in the crock pot and set the timer. It smelled so good all day and I couldn't wait to eat it. When my little timer went off, I leapt off my couch and immediately went to try it out. It smelled good, it looked good...

It just didn't taste good. 

I don't know if it was the canned potatoes (gross) or the canned water chestnuts (double gross), but I could barely eat it. The chicken was good, but the rest? Not so much. And now the smell is making me sick.  And now I'm stuck with 7 more chicken breasts that I really don't want to eat. 7?! What was I thinking? Note to self: Check the serving size next time you make something. Sigh. I'm hoping it might taste better when it's cold...hmm.

I'm going to try not to let this discourage me from cooking more often. I'm just thinking it was a bad recipe...

And I had the best intentions to clean my apartment today and reorganize things. But then I started watching the ABC Family marathon of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" and I'm hooked. I can't stop watching. These kids are so ridiculously trashy! When I was 15, I was obsessed with *NSYNC and trying to get through Biology labs, not thinking about when and how I could have sex. I meant really, the entire show is based on sex. I'm surprised ABC Family even airs it. But it's pretty good...and I can't stop watching. It's a very strange mix of characters. You've got the really slutty smart girl, the shy pregnant French horn player and the super super Christian girl. Kind of bizarre, but interesting nonetheless. 

So if I want to keep watching and keep my resolution to go to bed earlier, I guess I'll just straighten up tomorrow. Happy New Year everyone!

3 comments:

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

My boyfriend loves to cook and he got tons of new cooking stuff. I totally made out on this deal.

I would love to help you out with a redesign. We can do a full redesign or just a new header! Check out my work at GrungeGeekDesign.com

Anonymous said...

That's so funny you got hooked on the American Teenager. I saw it advertised, so I checked some clips on youtube. I was hooked too. You're the first I'm actually admitting it to! I'm actually excited about the new season. I feel like such a loser for liking this show. It's definitely a guilty pleasure. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Anonymous said...

Wow you did a lot today. Me? I slept all afternoon. Wasted me day away really. I really need to go grocery shopping.