Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Crispy crunchy deliciousness


In keeping with my fall favorites, it's about time I talked about another one of my seasonal must-haves...Honeycrisp Apples. They are the sweetest, tartest, tangiest, juiciest, crunchiest, crispiest, most delicious apples ever made...or grown.

As I mentioned before, I eat an apple every single day. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe in the saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." I've been doing this apple thing for over a year and so far, the saying has been almost completely true. I've only been sick once over the year and it was a cold that lasted two days. Maybe it has nothing to do with the apples, but I'm not going to stop eating them in order to find out.

So before I was introduced to the phenomenal HoneyCrisp apple, I was all about Gala apples. I thought they were the absolute best. I never was a fan of those regular old apples like Jonathan and Red Delicious...I only like the "fancy" ones like Gala and Pink Lady and Fuji. And Galas were my go-to fruit until that fateful day last fall when I stumbled upon the Honeycrisp display at Dominick's.

Naturally, I was drawn to the name. To me, names and packaging are the biggest sellers. If it has a fun name or comes in a really cool box, I'll get it. So I saw the name Honeycrisp paired with its pink-ish green skin and I immediately picked up a couple. I brought one to work the very next day and my life was changed forever.

As I took that first bite I realized that no other apple would ever be good enough compared to this perfect fruit. It was so crisp and juicy, it was almost like candy. I can't even describe how good it was...I don't think any words would do it justice. I immediately went back to the store and stocked up on Honeycrisps. "Apple time" became my favorite part of the day—a moment of sweet perfection in the middle of a hectic work day.

And then fall ended. And Honeycrisps were nowhere to be found. Trust me, I looked. I went to grocery stores throughout the city, but the apple season had ended and I was out of luck.

So all I could do was wait...and wait...and tolerate Galas once again.

And now Honeycrisps are back and better than ever. I stock up on them every week and still eat one every single day. I'm glad I know to savor them this year and enjoy them while they last. Because life without Honeycrisps is a little less sweet.

No comments: