Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm an idiot.

So I wrote the post that was posted earlier today last night, when I thought I would have no time tonight. But now that I found out my flight to Boston was cancelled and rescheduled to Saturday morning, I've got time to spare.  And thank goodness, because I am laying here blubbering like an idiot, trying to nurse the cuts and bruises I just became the proud owner of.

My Mom was down in the city today and swung by to pick up some stuff I need to bring home for Christmas. I was walking down my back stairs, carrying  a laundry basket with my Christmas presents when my feet slipped out from under me and in one big straight-out-of-a-cheesy-comedy moment, I flew up in the air, still clutching my laundry basket, and landed right in the middle of my back. Because I have a rather boney back, my spine took the full blow. Needless to say, I'm in a world of pain right now.

When I was finally back in my apartment, I started wondering if I dropped anything when I fell. The fall must have knocked something loose in my head, because I decided it would be a good idea to walk back down the icy stairs to see what I could find. So without putting a coat on, I threw on some boots and walked very, very, very slowly down the steps, gripping the railing. I got to the second flight of stairs down and BOOM! legs out from under me, flew through the air and BAM! landed right on my elbow. I burst into tears and to my horror realized the rather cute guy who shared the stairwell was standing above me. He helped me up and went down to look to see if anything had fallen from my first graceful fall, while I stood there crying tears of humiliation in my dirty, wet sweater, bleeding on my elbow (which is now black and blue) and hand.

Moral of the story: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" DOES NOT pertain to walking down icy stairs. For those of you who get to experience all the joys of winter like I do, good luck and be careful. Ice, especially black ice, is a total bitch.

Oh man, I feel like an old lady now...at least I didn't break a hip. But my back is swollen. Nice. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is horrible! I am so sorry! I can't imagine the horror. I would have burst into tears too! Hope you feel better!