Sunday, December 14, 2008

Another time, another place

Lately, I've been wondering what it would be like to live in a different era. Call me crazy, but sometimes I really think I would have loved growing up in another time. 

Last Thursday, when I was with my high school friends, we were playing with the conversation starter cards my one friend had. I was looking at the box and immediately loved the third question. I begged her to read it out loud, which she did: "If you could live in another era, what would it be and why?"

I immediately jumped up and yelled "The 1950s! Absolutely! I'm so traditional and those are my people. I'd fit in. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I know that's what I want."

My friends stared at me for a minute and then burst out laughing. It was pretty funny, I suppose, but I was dead serious. 

Sometimes I really do think about it and how much I'd love to be in the 1950s. There's something so appealing about the simplicity of those times. Things seemed so traditional and easy-going and the focus was on family and being together. All the great movies and music were new and exciting. Boyfriends swapped sweaters and class rings, girls got to wear  dresses all the time (I love dresses), sock hops were the rage and chivalry was alive and thriving. It seemed like such a happy, carefree time. 

And yes, I'm sure there were a lot of not-so-peachy aspects of the 50s (not to mention a cookie-cutter housewife role for women), but I like to romanticize it. Growing up, I loved shows like Happy Days and movies like Grease and comics like Archie because they took place during that time. When I found out that they weren't actually made during the 50s, I was devastated. Even as a little girl, I fell in love with those times. I felt like I could really connect to it and couldn't wait until I could sit at the diner sharing a milkshake (with two straws) with my high school sweetheart. 

But as much fun as it would be, it would also mean I'd have to live through the 60s and 70s and I can tell you for sure that I would NOT want to do that. Nothing about that era looks fun to me. The hair, the drugs, the music, the clothes...ick. So I think I'll just enjoy being a good old Millennial (I think that's what I am) right now.

What about you? Have you ever wanted to live in a different time?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think about this too! I always think I'd like to go back to the days of cowboys and indians, without all the violence. Like Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman days. I think that would be neat. If I'm going to a different era, might as well make it extreme. (In response to your comment, the background is a template I customized, and I made my banner)!

James said...

You would have LOVED to have been at the bar I was at this weekend. It was "doo-wop night" and they were blaring oldies and everyone was dressed in 1950's gear. But not in a Halloweeny way, but a believable way that made you feel like you were in a time warp. It was awesome.

Anonymous said...

I have always wished I lived in the 50's, 40's, or 30's. I LOVE those times.

EP said...

The 50s were always one of my favorite times, too, for the same reasons you have. I think I would have fit in really well then. I also think I would have enjoyed the Roaring 20s. Completely different, but fun nonetheless.