Sunday, March 1, 2009

Damn you, lion.

They say March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. Apparently, this March is coming in like an angry, mean, windy, snowy, icy, frigid lion. I can only hope it will leave as a bright, sunny, green, springy, flowery, happy little lamb. Ha, not going to happen. You can't tame a crazy lion in only 31 days. At least not here.

This year, spring officially starts on March 20th. But here in Chicago, it doesn't actually feel like spring until mid-May. Sure the biting cold wind-chills die out in late March (hopefully), but we still get snow, freezing rain and pretty cold temps for another couple of months.

So you think I would know this after living in Chicago (and Milwaukee for college) my whole life. But yesterday, I found myself SO excited that today was March 1st. March is a sign of hope for me. It's a sign that the short, freezing days of winter are almost behind us and that spring is on its way. 

This morning I woke up, jumped out of bed, ran to the window, threw open the shutters and peered into the depths of the early morning. Or more like...I crawled groggily out of bed, stumbled over to the window and tried to peek through the dusty blinds. And what did I see? A flippin' winter wonderland. Fluffy white snow swirling EVERYWHERE.

And of course, it was lake effect snow. Meaning it was coming straight off  lake and only hitting small parts of the Chicagoland area. My boyfriend drove home and said that 10 minutes away from my apartment the sun was shining and it was a beautiful day. My Mom up in the 'burbs couldn't believe it was snowing—she, too, was enjoying a nice, sunny day. I felt like I was in one of those cartoons where the little rain cloud sits over your head and follows you around all day. Bummer.

Oh well, at least it's already March. We've got to be at least a tiny bit closer to spring now, especially since Daylight Savings is next weekend. Isn't that crazy? It will be nice to have it stay lighter longer though. And it's definitely getting me excited for my vacation. I'm going in less than 3 weeks and I've already I've started to check out a bit. Whoops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha. I hate it when the weather is good everywhere but where I'm at. It's so depressing!